Who We Are
Founded in 2000, Shining Light Baptist Academy and Preschool serves students from 6 weeks through grade 12, providing a quality education at a reasonable price. Using traditional approach to education, SLBA’s students have excelled in a structured, academically challenging environment. Scoring 1 1/2 to 3 years ahead of their public school peers, our students are taught through the widely-used A-Beka curriculum. This program of study is academically and biblically sound.
Our academy is a member of the North Carolina Christian School Association. We have satisfactorily met the requirements of the North Carolina Department of Non-Public Education upon inspection and are designated as a Grade A school. Grades K5-12 have a limited open enrollment to families in the community who value our spiritual emphasis and desire a solid academic foundation for their children.
Mission, Commitment and Honor Code
Our mission as a Christian school is to come along side your family and to help establish a biblical worldview by developing the mind of Christ in each student. Our goal is to instill in each student a desire to strive for excellence in all areas of life for the glory of God. Our purpose is to educate and train the whole student: spiritually, intellectually, physically, and socially. We want your children to learn everything they can that will prepare them to live a full life of significance in service for Christ.
Spiritual Growth: We are committed to providing a Christ-centered education. The Bible permeates every class and subject. Servant leadership is taught and modeled by our teachers. We encourage personal growth.
Academic Growth: We are committed to providing rigorous academics to promote academic excellence to prepare our students to fulfill God’s will for their lives. We strive to lead our students to be a difference maker through integrity, critical thinking, problem solving, and passionate learning.
Social and Physical Growth: We are committed to providing extra-curricular activities in fine arts, athletics, and student clubs teaching our students teamwork and to exalt Christ with their God-given talents, skills, and abilities.
ACADEMY HONOR CODE
We desire that our students bring glory to God with their lives. Knowledge, skill, and character are fundamentally the possessions of individuals, and only the individual, through his/her actions, may obtain and preserve these goods. The Academy Honor Code exists to guide individual students towards those actions which promote honesty and learning and away from those actions which sacrifice honesty and learning to other ends. The Honor Code codifies those values which must be upheld for the health of our academic and spiritual community. Universal subscription to it builds trust and unity amongst students, faculty, and families.
As a student of the Academy, I agree to the following:
- I will not lie, cheat, or steal in any of my academic endeavors.
- I will forthrightly oppose each and every instance of academic dishonesty.
- I will not request, receive, or give aid in examinations, tests, or quizzes.
- I will not give or receive illicit aid in class work, homework, in the preparation of reports, or in any other work that is to be used by the teacher as the basis of grading. I will understand the difference between studying and reviewing with others (which often is acceptable) and producing written documents that are submitted under my name for credit (which can only be done alone).
- I will not copy from others in completing homework. When I put my name on a homework assignment, I attest that all of the work on the assignment is my own in origin and content.
- In the case of all essays and research papers, I will carefully cite all external sources. I will not represent someone else’s work as my own. I will do my very best to learn from my teachers the clear distinctions between appropriate research and plagiarism, intentional or unintentional.
- I will give prompt (and confidential) notification to the appropriate faculty member if I observe academic dishonesty in any course. I will let my conscience be my guide if I should make such a report.
- I will treat others with dignity and respect.
- I will respect and properly care for the school’s facilities and equipment.
- I will endeavor to bring glory to God through my spirit, words, and actions.
- I join the entire student body of the Academy in a commitment to this Code of Honor.
What We Do
The purpose of Shining Light Baptist Academy is to educate and train the whole student: spiritually, intellectually, physically, and socially. We believe the students who learn to discipline themselves will excel in life. Not only must a young person have a heart for God, but he or she must also have wisdom, knowledge, and understanding to serve the Lord in the plan He has for his or her life. Therefore, God’s Word is integrated into the total educational program. The Bible is taught so that the student will develop the mind of Christ, learn to practice His conscious presence, and exercise a Biblical world-view.
At Shining Light, students learn the right use of knowledge in the context of character with a heart for God and others.